Student Fire Safety Week 2017
This week we are supporting student fire safety week. With all university students now settled into their new accommodation we want to make sure you have given fire safety a thought! This student fire safety week is the perfect opportunity to think about fire safety and take on board our top tips for keeping you safe. Did you know…
- 55% of 18-24 year olds deaths in fires occurred through misuse of cooking appliances and careless handling of hot substances.
- Cigarettes, smoking materials and candles have been the cause of 1,500 18-24 year olds injuries over the last 5 years
- Partying, smoking and drinking are all part and parcel of a student lifestyle, but it could put you at a higher risk of fire. Safety awareness should not stop when you get home.
Our top fire safety tips..
- Plan an escape route with your fellow students and practice it. You could practise with a blindfold to be sure you know the route in dark conditions.
- Check the house/apartments for hazards before you go to bed. Check that sockets are off and candles are out etc.
- Don’t overload sockets. Too many electrical appliances plugged into one socket can overload it, which can lead to overheating.
- Never smoke in bed or if you are drowsy – it’s very easy to fall asleep and allow your cigarette to set light to your bedclothes or furnishings.
- Keep lighters, matches and smoking materials in a safe place and do not play with them!
- When cooking take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, for example by a phone call.
- Check your smoke alarms are working on a regular basis, you should test them at least once a week.
- Don’t use cheap/copy chargers for your phones, tablets and laptops as these can overheat and catch fire.
Contact MAGG Group for all your fire safety needs from fire alarm, emergency lighting, fire extinguishers, fire risk assessments to fire training courses.