Are you compliant with the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005?
Fire safety regulations are in place to create a safe environment for you, your staff, and your customers.
If you do not meet these regulations you could be taken to court and receive a hefty fine or even a prison sentence as the person below discovered…
In 2015, Mr Gurnam Singh Rai the lease holder and operator of the International Hotel in Derby was sentenced to six months imprisonment, fined £40,000 and ordered to pay £20,000 in costs.
On March 13th 2015 Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service served an enforcement notice, with a compliance date of 20th April 2015 because a routine fire safety audit found multiple safety hazards. After multiple visits and warnings the required work was still not completed so in August 2015 the fire authority commenced legal action.
Why and what could have been done?
- External fire escapes were corroded – This can be prevented by a simple safety audit in which all fire doors are checked. We recommend that a safety audit is completed once a month.
- Fire doors were found wedged open – This can be prevented by assigning a competent person to complete an opening and closing procedure in which all areas are checked for any hazards.
- Defects with the fire alarm and emergency lighting – Emergency lighting should be annually serviced by a professional company.
- Incomplete staff training This can be prevented by giving all staff comprehensive fire awareness/marshal training. MAGG recommends that a fire marshal training course takes place for staff every 2 years or when there are any staff changes. Click here to visit the training section on our website to see the range of training courses we offer.
- Un serviced fire extinguishers. – fire extinguishers should be serviced by British Approval for Fire Equipment (BAFE) accredited engineers on an annual basis.
If you are unsure that your business is meeting the current fire safety standards contact us on 01785 711088 and we will help you to ensure that the above does not happen to you!!