Chimney Fire Safety Week
Chimney fire safety week 2018
With the colder months fast approaching we are supporting Chimney fire safety week to ensure that your chimney is safe for use. This Chimney fire safety week to keep you and your family safe from fire we recommend that you should take the necessary steps to ensure your chimney is fit for use. You should ensure your chimney is swept regularly depending on what fuel you burn and we urge all households to have a working smoke alarm! See below for our helpful information on chimney fire safety week.
Most common causes of chimney fires
- Burning unseasoned wet wood
- Improper appliance sizing
- Overnight burning or smouldering wood for long periods in wood stoves
- Infrequent sweeping and cleaning
How to help prevent chimney
- Do not light fires using flammable liquids such as petrol or paraffin
- Do not burn paper or rubbish on fires in the grate
- Do not overload the fire with fuel
- Do use a spark guard when the fire is unattended to prevent embers setting fire to furnishings or carpets
- Do go into the loft occasionally to check the chimney when the fire is alight. Check for smoke from cracks, defective brickwork or mortar joints.
How often should your chimney be cleaned
- Gas – Once a year
- Oil – once a year
- Wood – up to four times a year
- Smokeless coals – at least once a year
- Bituminous coal – twice a year
What to do in the event of a chimney fire
- Dial 999 and ask for the fire service
- With a conventional open fire, extinguish the fire by gently splashing water onto the open fire.
- For a solid fuel appliance, close down the ventilation as much as possible.
- Move combustible materials and furniture away from the fireplace
- If available place a fireguard in front of the fire.
- Feel the chimney breast in other rooms for signs of heat and if a wall is becoming hot move furniture away.
- Prepare for the Fire Service to access your attic or roof space as they will want to check this area for signs of possible fire spread.
We are proud to be supporting Chimney fire safety week 2018 If you require any assistance with any fire safety related matters please feel free to contact us on 01785 711088.